Introduction to our Research
Here is an introductory documentation written and maintained by Prof. Zhou.
General Research Advices
- The Three Golden Rules for Successful Scientific Research (by Prof. E.W. Dijkstra)
- Some Modest Advice for Graduate Students (by Prof. Stephen C. Stearns)
- How to Write a Good Research Paper (by Prof. Mary Shaw)
- Common Advice on Writing Research Papers (by Prof. Tao Xie)
- How/How Not to Write a Good System Paper (by Dr. Roy Levin and Dr. David D. Redell)
- Preliminary Guidelines for Empirical Research in Software Engineering (by Prof. Barbara Kitchenham et al.)
- Why I gave your paper a Strong Accept (by Matt Welsh)
- Why I gave your paper a Strong Reject (by Matt Welsh)
- You and Your Research (by Prof. Richard Hamming) (It is basically talking about how to do great research)
- How to Give a Technical Presentation (by Prof. Michael Ernst)
(Adopted from Prof. Xuanzhe Liu’s Website)
Common Technologies Used in Our Research
GHTorrent, World Of Code, Libraries.io
Perl, Python or something else based on specific needs.
Data Analysis Tools
Jupyter Lab, R, Python, Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn
Chinese Primer Papers
- 周明辉, 郭长国. 基于大数据的软件工程新思维. 中国计算机学会通讯. 第10卷, 第3期. 2014年3月
- 周明辉, 张伟, 尹刚. 开源软件的量化分析. 中国计算机学会通讯. 第12卷, 第2期. 2016年2月
- A. Mockus, R. T. Fielding, and J. Herbsleb. Two case studies of open source software development: Apache and Mozilla. ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, 11(3):1–38, July 2002.
- J. D. Herbsleb and A. Mockus. An empirical study of speed and communication in globally-distributed software development. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 29(6):481–494, June 2003.
- A. Mockus and D. M. Weiss. Globalization by chunking: a quantitative approach. IEEE Software, 18(2):30–37, March 2001.
Our Own Work
- M. Zhou and A. Mockus. Developer fluency: Achieving true mastery in software projects. In ACMSIGSOFT/FSE, Nov 7-11, 2010, pp137-146.
- Minghui Zhou, Audris Mockus. What make long term contributors: willingness and opportunity in OSS community, 2012 International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2012), 2012/6/2-2012/6/9, pp518-528.
- Jialiang Xie, Minghui Zhou, Audris Mockus. Impact of Triage: a Study of Mozilla and Gnome. ESEM 2013 (Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement). Oct 7-11 2013. pp247-250.
- Minghui Zhou, Qingying Chen, Audris Mockus, and Fengguang Wu. On the scalability of Linux kernel maintainers’ work. In Proceedings of the 2017 11th Joint Meeting on Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE 2017). pp27-37.
- Qingying Chen and Minghui Zhou. A Neural Framework for Retrieval and Summarization of Source Code. ASE’18
- Computer Systems: A Programmer’s Perspective by Randal E. Bryant, David R. O’Hallaron.